Chana Masala | Honey'z Corner | Chana Masala With Home Made Powder Read Count : 11
Category : Recipes
Sub Category : Vegan/Vegetarian
FOR PRESSURE COOKING:
- 1 cup chickpea / chana
- water, for soaking
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- 3 cup water, for pressure cooking
- ¼ cup coriander seeds
- ¼ cup cumin / jeera
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp clove
- 2 pod black cardamom
- 2 inch cinnamon
- 1 mace / javitri
- 1 tsp fennel / saunf
- 1 tsp shah jeera / caraway seed
- 10 dried red chilli
- 2 tbsp aamchur
- 2 tbsp kasuri methi
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp ghee / clarified butter
- 3 pod cardamom
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp cumin / jeera
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 chilli, slit
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cup tomato puree
- 2 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
PRESSURE COOKING CHANA:
- firstly, in a large bowl take 1 cup chickpea and soak in enough water for 8 hours.
- transfer the soaked chickpea to a pressure cooker.
- add ¼ tsp baking soda, ¾ tsp salt and 3 cup water.
- pressure cook for 5 to 6 whistles or until the chana is cooked well.
- firstly, in a pan take ¼ cup coriander seeds, ¼ cup cumin, 2 tsp pepper, 1 tsp clove, 2 pod black cardamom, 2 inch cinnamon, 1 mace, 1 tsp fennel, 1 tsp shah jeera.
- roast on low flame until the spices turn aromatic.
- further add 10 dried red chilli and roast until the chilli puffs up and turns crunchy.
- cool completely and transfer to a mixi.
- add 2 tbsp aamchur, 2 tbsp kasuri methi and 1 tsp turmeric.
- blend to fine powder without adding any water.
- chole masala powder is ready. store in an airtight container for longer shelf life.
- firstly, in a large kadai heat 2 tbsp ghee and saute 3 pod cardamom, 1 bay leaf, 1 tsp cumin until spices turn aromatic.
- add 1 onion, 1 chilli, 1 tsp ginger garlic paste and saute until the onions turn golden brown.
- further add in 1 tbsp of prepared chole masala and ½ tsp salt. saute on low flame until the masala turn aromatic.
- now add 2 cup tomato puree and mix well. to prepare tomato puree, blend two ripened tomatoes to a smooth paste without adding any water.
- saute until the oil separates from the masala paste.
- now add in pressure cooked chana and mix well adjusting consistency as required.
- cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the flavours are well absorbed.
- finally, enjoy 2 tbsp coriander and enjoy chana masala with roti, puri or hot steamed rice.